Friday, January 15, 2010

Salmon (Loch Duart)


I'm not a sustainable foods expert. I hope it's already apparent that this blog is a space of learning both for you and me. Like many people I interact with at Avedano's, I'm working on becoming a more thoughtful consumer. Feel free to keep me aware of issues I might be missing, or questions I'm not asking.

Today I'm looking at aquaculture and the Loch Duart Salmon we regularly carry. Sourced from CleanFish, this fish comes from a small, independent Scottish farm that attempts to replicate the natural life of a Salmon. The principle complaint against farm-raised seafood is that the process contaminates both the fish and the surrounding environment. I'm convinced that Loch Duart preserves the integrity of both. The area's natural tides flow water through the Salmon pens flushing them of waste. This allows the fish to grow in a clean environment. Simultaneously, the aqua-farmers avoid using any unnatural substances such as hormones or antibiotics that would contaminate the Salmon and the water itself. The pens are also allowed a year to fallow every three years to ensure water purity.

As for what the Salmon eat, the CleanFish website says the fish are fed sustainable feed that replicates what a Salmon naturally consumes. I contacted CleanFish and am waiting to hear what that means exactly.

The Salmon arrives in San Francisco 48 hours after harvesting, which is considered the ideal amount of rest time for flavor. That means it's fresh and tasty when it gets to Avedano's and back to your house. For more information, follow this link to a video on Loch Duart provided by CleanFish.

No comments:

Post a Comment